Friday, March 27, 2009

It's Over


It’s done.

I am legally divorced and changed back to my maiden name.

My girlfriends have always said that at least I married into a cool name. It’s a pretty prominent name in the Twin City restaurant scene and I was always able to pull a few strings when it came to making reservations...........

The price we pay, huh?

Tears but no regrets.

Currently, it is hard to believe it is over. The outcome was good. I got the house and sole custody of the boys.

No visitation schedule as Dad really hasn’t seen nor taken the kids in over a year.



Child support is going to help but after all the paper work is complete and filed, it may take up to 4 months for me to start collecting – and I cannot go back to when he left for back child support.

Now the work begins. Imagine all the things I need to do for my name change. I’m sure it will take awhile, as there are things that will be overlooked.

I stepped back into my house and need to remember the things that happened here. I look at the bedroom door that I just fixed – remembering him kicking it in as me and the boys were upstairs "hiding" to get away from his temper. Some spots in the kitchen that I often wonder if it’s blood or spaghetti sauce on parts of the ceiling and walls that I didn’t see to clean up, being barricaded out of the house, sleeping in the car and then knocking on the door the next morning only for him to think I was out all night.......

I have to put those memories to rest. I need to focus on the life that lay ahead of me. Things won’t be any different, as we have been leading a life without a father and husband for over a year now.

I never thought I'd get divorced. I meant that business about taking my husband for the rest of my days. When I realized, though, that my days would be fewer if I stayed married to a man who couldn't quit drinking, I was able to break my promise.

I'm sad about it, but I'm not sorry about it.

Here’s to a new life.



7 comments:

  1. Cheers, Sere... to new beginnings, and the rest of your longer, happier, safer life. *clink*
    It'll get better. Promise. You're on your way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,

    That was a huge post. Drinking ruins everything doesn't it? I cannot imagine trading my family for a drink. It must have been horrible.

    Best to you. What's next?

    Love,


    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  3. *hug* good to move forward. too much pain to look back. Good for you sweetie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you got out of that. Nobody needs to be treated like that. I lived with an alcoholic for awhile, and am glad I got out when I did, too. You deserve so much better than that. Here's to turning the page and starting over in your life. Hugs to you, my friend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are a survivor my dear! I am so happy that you are free from an abuser like your ex. Ive seen women stay in a relationship with abuse simply because they were afraid to try and start over. You have a lot of power and Im sure you wil soon be happy again and in a wonderful relationship filled with love and no brutality! The best of luck to ya while you go thru all the changes necessary to get your life back to the way you want it to be.Take care and enjoy your "new found" freedom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. ditto the above.

    I also changed my name back to my maiden name after my divorce. In my case my ex wasn't "bad", but still the name just wasn't ME. I needed to be ME again!

    {hugs} and good luck.

    ReplyDelete