Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Overnight

Wow! Things can sure change overnight.

Yesterday morning, my ex kept calling to the kids to wake them up at 6:30 in the morning. I came downstairs and told him they don’t need to get up until 7:30 and my oldest has his alarm set so he shouldn’t worry about it.

I sloughed it off as it was just an hour ahead of schedule.

The boys and I were upstairs last night around 8:30 (yes, we seem to be spending more time upstairs…..) and my ex called for my help. I came down and he was in the bathroom trying to get his right contact out. He was dousing his eye with contact solution and taking his fingers trying to find it. I told him he had been wearing his glasses all evening and advised him he shouldn’t be wearing his contacts anymore.

4:00 this morning, he was calling for my oldest as he thought the cat was stuck in the recliner. I came down and told him not to wake the boys, tipped the chair over – no cat. A few moments later, the cat came running out of a bedroom.

At 6:30 this morning, he’s trying to wake the kids. Again, I told him it’s only 6:30, but within the next 10 minutes, he tried to get the boys up two other times.

Every morning, his brother picks him up to go to his 8:45 radiation treatment. He normally shows up around 8:30. Before I leave for work this morning at 7:00, he’s outside waiting for his brother. We get him back into the house and I told him it’s too early. As soon as I get to work, my son calls and says Dad is outside again. I call his cell phone and get him back into the house.

I call the house at 8:15 to see how everything is going. Dad went back outside at 8:00 to wait for his brother.

I think a meeting with his family is in order for this weekend. I honestly think he needs more care than what I can give him.


7 comments:

  1. Is this from the cancer treatments he's receiving? It sounds like Alzheimer's, but I doubt if he's that old. You need to have his family intervene. That's way more than you should have to be responsible for. Giant hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure sounds like he's becoming irrational and confused.....is he taking pain meds because this doesn't sound like something coming from radiation?

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is on morphine but he commented yesterday that he didn't need it as much and feels so much better NOT taking it.
    I'm wondering, since the cancer has spread to his bones and kidney, if it has spread to his brain.
    My dad had a brain tumor and was the same way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh I'm so sorry...I'll pray for all of you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope everything works ut soon

    ReplyDelete
  6. CE learned that she can't do it herself. I suspect you'll learn that too. Just learn it before it is too late.

    ReplyDelete
  7. hey just wanted to let you know I'm thinking about you!

    ReplyDelete