Wednesday, February 25, 2009

February 25, 1995

It has been fourteen years now since my father's death.

In some ways it seems like forever, and in other ways it seems like yesterday.

He died at the age of 62 after a seven month battle with cancer that was discovered just a year after he retired.

Everyday that passes by, I still think of him.

I wish he was here to see my children grow, and to help me get through life.

He was the most caring, patient, understanding person I have ever met. I'm proud to say he was my father. He helped a lot of people in the time he was here. He spent most of his life as a junior and senior high counselor and also a coach. I guess I never realized how much of an impact on other people's lives he had until he was diagnosed with cancer.

While in the hospital and when we had hospice at home, there was a continual stream of people visiting him. Former students, teachers and friends. Listening to them describe how he affected their lives meant so much.

I know he's looking over us and wishing us the best. Life is so hard without him........

5 comments:

  1. He will always be with you.

    Love,
    Bobby

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it is hard, but we seem to find the strength to carry on. He's watching over you, I'm sure of that...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Last Sunday it was 3 years since my own father passed away, so I know where you're coming from. I think about my father every single day, and always miss him. I did an entry about him (well, his last days). God bless you and your father. He's still taking care of you, but from a different place. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sounds like your dad was one of those really special folks.I know you miss him so much but l;ike you said Hes looking in on you all the time and Im sure he is proud of the way his girl turned out!Hugs to you and yuors my friend. Bless your heart

    ReplyDelete
  5. very touching, S.....I pray you gain strength from his memory

    ReplyDelete